Saturday, March 15, 2008

My first week alone in more than 3 years




Well, I survived my first week alone. While Adam has been exploring Oklahoma City, Jack has been at his Grandma Julie's in Wyoming. Sunday was very hard for me to be alone. New LDS wards are not that comfortable if you don't have your family to sit by. After sunday though, I began to realize what a gift I had to be able to use my evenings to do whatever I wanted. I ended up having a blast. I deep cleaned the floors at my house, which I haven't had time (or energy) to do since we moved in. I went to several shows with my Mom, bought supplies for decorating projects that I've been wanting to do, got a pedicure, changed my oil, bought groceries without someone yelling and grabbing items for the cart, had a girls night out and went shopping. It was very fun and I think I love having a big bed all to myself. I can sleep with my pregnancy pillow angled at a diagonal and I've had my first real restful sleep in weeks. Jack had a ton of fun at his Grandma's and came home just as I expected him to- spoiled rotten and completely off his schedule. Bad news since he has to start a new babysitter on monday... but I am greatful for the lessons Ive learned this week.

1. Family is awesome but alone time is good for me too.

2. Shopping is a good way to feel productive

3. Some of the things that I missed most were some of things that are most annoying like being asked every 5 seconds in the car, "Mommy, what doing?" "Driving" ... "Mommy, what doing?" "Still driving..."

4. When there is no-one to come home to at night, what's the point of coming home?

5. I am so greatful for all the help Adam has been for me over the last 5 months. I am a horrible pregnant person and have been so sick and he has picked up the slack completely. Which leads to some of the things I still need to learn:
-I missed garbage day on thursday
-I still haven't tackled my first load of wash
( Adam has been doing it all)
-I can't remember the garage door code and had trouble trying to burn a DVD for Laura's school project
-I want to figure out how to clean up the yard but we have absolutely no tools.

All in all it's been a very good week, but I'm very glad Jack is back and I am looking foreward to visiting Adam in a couple weeks and having him come back in April. I think now that I hear Jackson waking up that it's my turn to spoil him. Maybe I'll take him swimming and he can play turtle on my back :).
I can't wait to garden- my nice Dad even got it all tilled for me!

2 comments:

Ali Jones said...

Becky,
I finally found your blog! I am glad you had some time to yourself. It is needed, but you certainly do miss those little things!
We need to go swimming again
Ali

sarahbellac said...

Hey girl...we have so much in common! I spent a couple weeks alone multiple times while Dave took the kids on a trip to Utah...it certainly changes your perspective, doesn't it? Absence really does make the heart grow fonder...and I totally agree that shopping makes you feel productive!!!! HA ha.