My Mom is a Cancer Survivor!!Last week we celebrated my Mom's last appointment with her oncologist. 5 years ago, (which was also the day after my wedding- she went to the doctor because she thought her skin and eyes looked yellow in the wedding pictures.) my Mom found out she had pancreatic cancer and a tumor the size of a softball surrounding her pancreas and liver. Following some crazy doctors appointments and more stress and tears than she ever let on to me, she found a very special doctor (Dr. Belnap at St Marks) who was willing to attempt to remove her cancer. It involved removing and basically re-wiring the liver as well as removing the pancreas (they called it a modified whipple). The surgery lasted all day and ended about 1:00 AM. (Dr Belnap took one coke break the entire time.) She went to the ICU and survived some very tense hours. I think most of our family never really realized how close she had come to dying both with the surgery and the actual cancer. If she knew at the time, my mom never let on to us that the survival rate for pancreatic cancer was in the single digits. The only negative thing I ever heard her say was that she would feel sad if she died without ever getting to see her grandchildren. I thought we could get working on that but she'd have to stick around at least nine months. She went through radiation treatments, lost a lot of weight and struggled with diabetes. Today though she's healthier than she's ever been. She's strong, she eats healthy and she lives every day to its fullest, especially when it comes to spending time loving on Jackson (her very special first grandson and helper through some hard times.)
The day of her cancer appointment was also her 60th birthday!! Being cancer free for 5 years is a big deal and is an achievement rarely achieved by persons who've had pancreatic cancer. Here is Jack helping her blow out the candles.
I am so proud of my Mom and all she has overcome. She has been so strong and cheerful through everything. She is an example to me now for good eating and exercising and realizing what a gift our bodies are. I love you Mom and I am so greatful for the past 5 years with you and am excited to enjoy many more years in the future.
5 comments:
What an amazing story!
What a touching tribute to your mom! I never realized before how much you look like her:) Congrats to your whole family.
Becky, I love your darling blog! (I found it through Heidi's) It's been a long time! What an amazing story about your mom. Thanks for sharing. You have such a darling family. You can check out my blog at stephenandemilyholden.blogspot.com
Take Care-
Congrats to Marsha and Happy Birthday too! She's such a strong woman. I look up to her a lot!
Wow Becky, I had no idea your mom and your family had gone through all that! What an amazing woman! That is very much a miracle. I'm am glad you shared that story!
Post a Comment