Tuesday, July 22, 2008

We are now a family of four!!

I am very happy to announce the arrival of Charlie Paul Evans, born Thurs July 17. He's so new that all I have are the puffy-eyed shots which by the way I like to see even if they are blackmail worthy. There's something so special about women looking like the've been through a battle and the crazy drunk smile that says, "I have a baby now- so nothing else matters!" If you want the details, read on- if not that's perfectly o.k. too:
I was at work when I started labor but I didnt want to call Adams emergency number until I was for sure because I'd been having contractions for 2 weeks. So I measured them and they were 3-5 minutes apart. So I decided to do lunch at Cafe Rio.:) I called my doctor, he wasn't too excited because he had just checked me the day before and said I hadnt dropped and was still just dialated to 1-2 cm. I felt like they were getting really strong and my patients were getting worried about me. I decided to call Adam but he didn't answer his phone. I went to the bathroom and had some heavy duty contractions and then my water broke. I called Adam at work and he came and got me. Everyone at work was pretty excited- they had wanted my water to break in the therapy gym though- sorry to disapoint. When we got to the hospital I was already at 5-6 cm. By the time I got checked in, I was at 8 cm. I tried to get an epidural but it was maybe too late and didnt work. Everything went really fast. When I was already at 10 cm, they gave me another epidural and it eventually worked for about 30 minutes while I waited for my doctor to come. Then it had worn off enough I could feel the contractions and push. Two things I learned from my experiences: epidurals hate me and my body doesn't like pain. Adam was a great support, he patted my head and brought me ice chips. The nurse that was with me was so supportive to, maybe too supportive. She kept telling me I was doing good pushing and to try my hardest. I am a little competitive so I had to show her how strong I was and ended up with 2 tears and an episiotomy. Ouch... they had to monitor me for an extra 8 hours in labor/delivery to see if I would need extra stitches but thankfully I stopped bleeding and didn't.

it was so neat that they put baby Charlie on my chest right after he was born and he stayed with us until 6:50 until the next morning when he finally took a bath. His little eyes looked up at me and I thought how amazing it is that he can be aquatic in a dark noisy environment and then all of a sudden, he's in the light, breathing air listening to voices... It was such an awesome experience and I am even more in awe of the miracle of birth. It truly is such amazing.

6 comments:

Laura said...

Yay for baby Charlie!! Congratulations! I can't wait to meet him.

Unknown said...

Congratulations Mommy and Daddy and Big Brother Jack! I can't wait to see little Charlie!

Sally Wood said...

Congratulations Becky! I am so glad that everything worked out the way you wanted. And by the way, you look beautiful! Not blackmail photos at all!

Charlotte said...

Congrats you guys!!! Welcome to little Charlie (LOVE that name). I'm glad that you are well and got your VBAC, Becky. Hugs to everyone!

Amanda said...

Congratulations! He's so cute!

Allison Temple said...

Congratulations Becky!!! I'm so excited for you. I bet Jack is so excited to finally be a big brother. You guys should come back and visit us Minnesotans... :0)