
One of my favorite movie oddities is in My Big Fat Greek Wedding and how Gus Portokolus can cure any type of ailment, including baldness, psoriasis, and everything from pimples to poison ivy could be cured with Windex. He came up with this conclusion when one day his toe swelled up "as big as (his) head" and then he sprayed it with Windex, the next morning, its size was back to normal again! At the end of the show, the ultimate compliment is made when the new non-Greek son-in-law embraces Gus' love for Windex.
For me though, the number one fix all is chlorine.
If your hair is getting oily because you haven't showered in 3 days? Chlorine can fix that.
If you're starting to get a pimple? Chlorine can fix that.
If you've just done a super hard workout and you know that you're going to be sore tomorrow? Go for a slow relaxing swim- chlorine will fix that too.
If you get sore anyway because you did not follow the above advice, go for a swim- that'll fix those sore muscles.
If you get all congested- chlorine can fix that.
If you get run into on the ice rink and someone slices your finger open with their skate and you don't know if you need stitches or not? Go for a swim, if you start bleeding more you'll know you do need stitches and if not, chlorine is much better than ointment for disinfecting your wound.
If you have tendon issues, muscle issues, if you are too fat, old or pregnant to run or aerobicize, swim- it's easy on the joints and increases flexibility and endurance.
If your skin is too oily- chlorine can fix that.
If your Chiropractor wants to charge you way to much to fix your back? Go for a swim. Chlorine can fix that to.
I am such a believer in the therapeutic value of swimming. I have been several times this week because it was the only place I could walk or move around normally with my sore back. I've swam through so many injuries and I love that swimming is so low-impact. You can swim slowly, stretch, speed it up slow it down, try different strokes, etc. and it feels great! We went to Crystal Hot Springs yesterday and participated in their Natural Therapeutic Mineral Baths which one of my Physical Therapy friends swears is his personal fountain of youth and the solution to all sinus-related issues. (side-note: It was a fun spontaneous adventure and after Jack got over the yucky taste, he swam around and visited with all the people there. He's so social, he just walks up to random people and says, "Hi Girls. Whatcha doin?")
So that's it- I guess I have a Love Affair with Chlorine. Well maybe it's a Love-hate relationship. For all the things I love about it- I Hate when they put too much in (like when the pour it directly into the childrens shallow area after an "incident.") and when it turns my hair green (which happens when I buy cheap Suave products instead of Paul Mitchell). Anyone else have love-hate relationships with inanimate objects? or has anyone actually put Windex on a pimple?
7 comments:
YOu crack me up Becky! I have to admit that I don't love swimming very much. It makes my eyes all red & scratchy, even with goggles, so that I can't wear my contacts. But I love that you love it! My kids wish they had you as their mom;)
Ahh chlorine. Good stuff. I give chlorine all the credit when people ask how in the world I never get zits.
I'm not sure Chlorine is your true love. It sounds like swimming is! Hahaha I loved the post.
What a fun post! I enjoyed reading about your love affair! I really want to visit the hot springs.
I'm going to need a detailed list on the uses of Chlorine and how to use them. I've never heard of 90% of your list...expect the swimming. That's a given.
I love/hate butter.
I totally have a love/hate relationship!! I have to admit, though, lately it's been more love than hate.
Post a Comment