Friday, February 20, 2009

Standing Outside The Fire and "The Westley Syndrome"


When Adam and I were dating, we fell in love with Garth Brooks' song, "Standing Outside the Fire" (Live Edition so that you hear the audience getting all pumped up). We took it to mean that you need to take risks. Do things that make you stretch or that you might not feel fully prepared for. Get outside your comfort zone. (And occasionally I would see in my minds eye that cute little boy with down syndrome running towards the finish line only to fall and get back up until he finished (from my days as a Special Olympics coach- that song was in our training video).


Well, we have recently been pushed way outside our comfort zones. Although Adam was told he lost his job almost 6 weeks ago, they still let him come to work; every week he has been granted one more week of work, which is quite stressful as you may imagine. I want to share a little of Adam's Wednesday letter this week,


"Becks, I think you summed it up perfectly when quoting The Princess Bride: "Good night Westley, rest well, I'm most like to kill you in the morning..." Today, I was again allotted one more week of work at the Tracon. This time I got the official letter of termination. I have high hopes that I can continue on at Salt Lake Center, but I realize that I now must face some choices about my/our future(s). I am grateful for the time we have been given to get our house in order over the last month of -one more weeks-. I know it is odd but even with all the kaos of: job loss, back injuries, sick children, play practice, parents in the hospital, financial crunch, and up all night Charlie I feel calm. I feel so focused on our family. Our Health, our finances, our family bond. I don't know why, but I am grateful for the PUSH this job lay off/wash out has forced us to confront. We are tyring ( the hardest we ever have) to live within a budget, to organise our debt and cook at home (emeals). I know it is hard, I understand how tired you feel, and your frustration.. I am frustrated too, but these times will pass and we will look back at them with a wise eye. Proud of how we grew and rose to the occasion, to meet our challenges, and be better people, parents, and friends. I love you! I love you! I love you! Adam"


I am so grateful that I have Adam. He is my rock and is calm when I am not. I'm glad that even though we may be just inches away from that fire that would be my breaking point, we're standing there together and together, we can make it through.

10 comments:

Melissa said...

I think quoting the princess bride is brilliant.
It suits the situation so well.
I'm really sorry things are tough.
I'm really happy though you have each other.
At the end of the day things can always be worse.

coriconnors said...

Becky and Adam-
Your words, from both of you, speak wisdom and truth and tenderness and are as beautiful as have ever been written. I won't speak for the Lord; but I can imagine that the father of our souls would be most pleased with what you have become and are becoming.
You make me weep, seeing in your little family evidence of the hope that so many people say is lost.
Cori

Anonymous said...

You two are so great.

Charlotte said...

There is nothing the Princess Bride cannot help with:) Again, though, I am so sorry about Adam's job. I well know the stress and anxiety you guys are operating under right now. You are all in my prayers. You are handling all this marvelously, my friend!

Ali Jones said...

Becky
I am so sorry about Adam's job. Isn't it great that he is so optimistic. It's true that if you put your trust in the Lord and do the things you should be doing, things are going to work out just fine. Let me know if there is anything you need!

auntie libby said...

ok i know that you're life has been rather hectic lately...duh...and any spare moment you might have is spent in rehersals but we just wanted you guys to know....we ... miss ... you!

let's get together soon. and we will see if we can find a night to come to your show. you sure look cute!

Derek & Heidi said...

You two are amazing examples of strength and trust, both in each other and in the Lord! Kudos for your great attitudes!

We have been sick for 2 weeks now, and hope by this weekend to feel ourselves again. I'll call and see if you guys might be free to hang out!?!

Best wishes with everything. Please let us know if we can help in anyway!

WIKKY said...

Isn't it amazing how our trials really help us in the long run??? You can learn so much about yourself and how you "deal" with stress, patience, etc. I am glad that you guys have found that peace that you need to "get by" another day!!!! Thanks for sharing..

Maricela said...

Becky, thanks for sharing this post. I love that feeling of peace the Savior gives us through the storms of life. I am glad that you and Adam have each other and are relying on the Lord. Keep your heads up!

Anonymous said...

Great perspective. We are doing the same thing right now: getting our house in order in case KLA kills us in the morning. Whether or not, getting our house in order is good for all of us! To quote JS, have a house or order, or something like that. Sad I can quote PB better than JS!