Sunday, July 26, 2009

Jack's First Fish

When I was little, I loved going fishing with my Dad. It was such a special time to be together in nature and part of "roughing it." Looking back, it probably wasn't that fun for my Dad because between the three kids, someone's line was always breaking or catching tweeds and needing to be rescued. He might have liked to have cast his own lines but he spent his time setting up our poles and de-snagging us and then complimented us on being such great fishermen since we always ended up catching more fish than he did. This weekend Jack and I bought fishing poles and a license and went out with my Dad fishing at Flaming Gorge. I realized that I have no idea how to set up my own pole nor which lures to use in different situations. There I was a ten-year old kid again letting my Dad set up my pole and coach me on where to cast. Jack had a blast for a few casts but then tired out since we didn't catch anything. We went out twice on the lake but didn't catch anything, so we decided to take jack up to a little children's catch and release pond.


Jack did better but didn't like to sit down and wait for the "Bobbie" to wiggle and sink under the water (meaning that a fish had bit)
His excitement when the fish came out of the water totally made up for all the waiting time. He had the biggest grin on his face. He was a little nervous and didn't want to touch it. He squeeled, "Look the fishie's doing a wiggley dance!" After that, he immediately wanted to catch another and was willing to sit and wait (for another 5 minutes before his attention was distratcted again)

Jack told Grandma, "My Fish was THIS BIG" See, I knew he would make a good fisherman.


While Jack was off being distracted, Charlie found the pole and caught some nice tweeds.
(That's a twig/weed) :)



Charlie LOVED the fishing pole and tried to figure out how to use the crank and everything- what a cutie! He just doesn't realize he's still a baby- he think's he's a big kid.

What a special weekend. I guess I'll have to pay more attention and learn from my Dad how to set up poles and un-snag snags so that I'll be ready to be a good fishing mama for my two boys who are bound to out fish me one day too.


2 comments:

Juliann said...

Seriously, those are the cutest pictures EVER!

Melissa said...

Great post.
It's so important to document this stuff.