Saturday, October 24, 2009

You know you're in the missionfield when...

Adam and I have been nostalgic of the mission field lately.
Recent events that have reinforced the fact that we're not in Utah anymore:

* We got to have the missionaries come over for dinner!

*We feel very claustrophobic at times because you can't see very far and there are so many trees! Trees lining the road, rolling hills and little twisty roads that remind you of the Cars movie when McQueen and Sally are driving and the leaves get flipped up into the air. With so many trees and leaves, it literally rains leaves on us as we drive- Just gorgeous.

* I had to go to the county social service department because here, we can't just call someone's Bishop or Relief Society president and trust that they will get help with meals and rides to doctors apts, etc. And here, none of my patients wear special underwear.

* When people ask what church I go to, I have to give the full name "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints", the slang name "The LDS" and the old slang name "The Mormons." Then they say, "I didn't know we had any of those around here."

* Whenever I go to a new home or trailer, I knock on the door, introduce myself and have a familiar nervousness and I remember tracking the streets of La Bandera, Chile, hoping they will let me in.

* I have had to fend off dogs as I try to get into new patients homes and I regret that I can't just pick up a rock and throw it towards the dogs to keep them from coming too close like we did in Chile. I have a feeling that wouldn't go over to well with my patients- if i threw rocks at their dogs.

* At work, I sometimes have to sit on yucky couches and I'm careful where I set my bag and try not to lean back onto the couch.- In Chile- if you weren't careful, you'd get fleas...

* I have not needed any lotion in the past 2 weeks since we moved here

* There are no sprinklers here

* I was made a visiting teaching supervisor and I'm assigned to personally teach six sisters who all live about 30 minutes away.

* It takes us 20 minutes to get to church.

* We are learning to speak a new language. A toilet is called a commode. A purse is called a pocket book. Hush-puppies are deep fried heaven (still not sure what exactly they are made of). Shrimp n Grits are delicious but I'm not sure about nutritious. Our town hall is located in uptown - there is no downtown.

* We have BED BUGS! or fleas or something gross that bites us in the night. We can't see anything and every morning we wake up with big welts all over our ankles and necks. We are trying to spray and disinfect and Lysol and research homeopathic remedies on the Internet but to no avail...

* Before our second official Sunday in our new branch, Adam was called as First Counselor in the Branch Presidency. Congratulations Adam! It's going to be a big job. As far as the women are concerned, I know there are 150 baptised members of Relief Society and last Sunday there were maybe 25 women at church.

We are grateful and excited about this opportunity to be in a small branch. We are ready to serve and eager to learn and grow from our experiences here.

4 comments:

Charlotte said...

Wow - sounds like an adventure Becky! The bed bugs thing is so freaky though. I hope it's something else and not really bed bugs because I've heard they are a nightmare to get rid of. Congrats to you and Adam on your new callings - you'll do great!

coriconnors said...

You are no doubt an answer to the prayers of many there in the deep woods. It's a whole other world, isn't it? In Pittsburgh we had people ask to see where our horns had been attached.
What an adventure for all of you! (But we sure miss you here in the wild west!)

Chelsea said...

WOW! Lots of fun for you guys! I love your pumpkin background on your blog. Enjoy being in a Branch! We LOVED it! So much fun. That is exciting about being the Presidency!

RaShawn said...

Sounds like a very fun adventure. Good luck with the bed bugs.