Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Thank you Dad for all those fun boating trips!


Today I gained a new appreciation for my Dad's 25 plus years as a scout/ youth leader for church. We just got home from taking our young men and young women out for an end of summer boating day. One of my counselors called last minute to say she couldn't get any of the food we needed, so I had to run buy it all not at Sams. We bought a barbeque and barbequed hot dogs for a cookout. Then we went down to Philpott and tubed and kneeboarded. There wasn't enough room so me and the kids had to play on the shore for an hour or two which was totally o.k. with them because they love the beach. I think everyone had a good time. At the end of the night we had one popped tube, one ripped tube (brand new- we bought it for this outing) a broken flag, a broken boat floor, and a rock chip in our van (from a rock someone accidentaly threw). The kids and I rode back to the dock on the popped tube and I can say that I think I now know what an enima feels like- yuck! Then we loaded up to head home, and after what I consider to be a significant sacrifice of time, $, and resources only one youth thought to say thank you as he drove off.

I always thought that my Dad just loved the youth and felt like a kid when he got the privaledge of taking them out on the boat. Yea, his scouts broke stuff occassionally, (like the several vans we went through when I was a kid) and they sometimes did dumn stuff like throw rocks for no good reason, but he loved them like they were his own. I don't think that I ever thanked him enough for taking me out on the boat as a teenager either. I'm starting to think that it might have been more of a sacrifice than I realized at the time- either that or my Dad is a little more Christ-like than I am. Probably both.

5 comments:

JacksGram said...

I agree, your dad is a saint! He did and still does love doing it! The rewards will come later. You may never know the good you are doing for the youth or just how much influence you are having in their lives....but it will still be there.

Becky said...

It's fun to see you going through the same thing and feeling I've had. You can have a lesson on gratitude every Sunday and the most kids still will not thank you. It was more important to me that some of the parents thanked me. But once in a while one or two of the youth surprise you. Like a Mark Peterson who helped with everything and was thankful for everything. Or you have a less active youth and by coming to your activity starts coming to church and ends up going on a mission. Anyway I loved working with the youth and I'm still sad that I don't get to work with them on a weekly basis. I know you and Adam are great youth leaders. Now you know why our vans and boats are old.
Love DAD

Denise said...

Isn't it amazing how time + experience can change your perspective and give you more gratitude? Sometimes I'd like to get the perspective & gratitude without so much time & experience! Great work you guys are doing back there on the East Coast! Hope you continue to enjoy your adventures!

Denise
(your West Coast cousin)

JacksGram said...

Where did you get that cool pic of the kids in the boat and that cat?!!!

Melissa said...

Hey Becky do you wanna put me on your 'email when I've blogged' list?
Then I'd know when you've posted instead of having to check it daily?