Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Camping nightmare

Leave it to me to think that it would be fun to take Jack camping on my own when I'm nine months pregnant. I guess I just want to get in as much "fun" as I can before the world ends when I have this baby and all fun ceases and I retreat to the dreaded new baby cave. We went to the City of Rocks up in Idaho which would be cool because it had lots of neat rock formations for kids to climb on but my cousins picked a campsite that was about 20 minutes away from the cool rocks in a place with no trees (well there were a few which had been burned in a fire a while ago.) When we got there, the whole camp was sick and had been throwing up- fun for us- I think they had bad water... Jack had fun though and really liked playing with rocks and sticks and walking too close to the campfire which everyone repeatedly told him not to do and Laura's legacy lives on.
We made peach cobbler and Dutch oven lasagna YUMMY!

What a cute camper- I bought him surprises and one was a bubble gun that he got to shoot all over he really loved that power!We spent our first night and I let Jack stay up a little late and do the campfire thing. Then about 5 minutes after I fell asleep after tossing and turning to find a comfy spot on the air mattress, he woke up screaming. He was crying so hard and so loud and wouldn't calm down or open his eyes. I finally got him out of the port-a-crib and laid him with me. Then as soon as I drifted again, he did the same thing and would not be comforted. I got so frustrated with him that I kind of yelled at him and told him to open his eyes and shone a flashlight on him (which probably scared him even more than what he was waking up afraid of) Then he fell asleep next to me and almost woke up several times, but I was able to prevent more night terrors. I on the other hand was afraid to move a muscle and wake him up and since I usually toss and turn propping pillows between my legs all night, I didn't sleep. Then about 4:00 It started raining and the wind blew and knocked half of our tent down. I put it up a couple times and then resigned myself to holding it up with my arms so it didn't squish my sleeping Jack. I heard some noises and I could have sworn it was like 10:00 so I pulled us out of the tent and we climbed in the van with my mom about quarter to six. Jack quickly got comfy with my mom and she offered me a spot on the couch/bed but even in my glory days (aka especially not pregnant) I couldn't sleep on 2" of mattress. I told my mom I couldn't handle another night like that. It rained all morning and since our tent had now collapsed, rain pooled inside and soaked all of our gear. So we loaded all our soaking wet stuff in the van and headed home early.

No comments: