Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Am I becoming crafty?

The past few weeks, I'm not sure whether it's because things are finally starting to settle down a bit after our adjustment period or whether I just don't know what do do with myself since I'm not working full-time and I have issues that I need to feel productive in a non-taking care of kids way. Last Saturday, I participated in a little fashion show with my friends Pumpkin and Sally. It was quite fun despite the fact that Jack was running all over the room hiding under all the clothes racks, closing the jewelery boxes, and Charly wouldn't be put down. We strutted down the center aisle of the store and then they gave us 60-70% off our clothing purchase. Fun times, especially the girl talk and the great news about Rachel that I'm not sure if I can post yet.

Here we are looking stylin. Jack was my escort down the runway the first time and Charly the second. I love our fall colors, maybe we'll get a family picture taken when the leaves change. That would be fun.
Since I am easily influenced as I discussed in a previous post, My friend Chelsea painted on some canvas for her baby Josh's bedroom and they turned out so cute, it made me want to try it. Last week my Mom took Jack for the morning and so I wanted to be productive- I wanted to paint (After the blue room incident, we all know know that Jack should not even be allowed to see me painting). First I painted a wall of Charlie's room, then I went to the craft store, bought paints and a canvas, borrowed an eisle from my cousin Dallas and went to town. I had all my paints out and was trying to mix the right colors (being the amateur that I am, I kept mixing too little paint and when I needed more and tried to mix it again I got a new color) So I ended up with these "modern art" pieces (I wanted to call it modern so that noone could tell that I don't really have talent) They turned out o.k. except for one of my squares is extremely crooked- It looked straight when I was painting it on the table but when I held it up to the wall it was crooked. My favorite part was slathering on the paint really thick so that you can tell it's real and not a print... I hung them on the wall in my kitchen and I like my new "Modern Art."
Another project that I copied off someone was these bracelet/watches. My cousin saw them at a Farmers Market and started making them and selling them for about $40. I liked them, but thought, "Hey I bet I could make those for less..." So I've made quite a few and they are really fun because you can switch out the colored bands to match your outfit. I made the orange, red and yellow one to go with my outfit I bought at the fashion show. So if you have a birthday coming up, I'm taking requests... :)

5 comments:

Charlotte said...

You ARE crafty! And, girl, you are good at it!! I am so impressed! You look so cute at your fashion show! And I love your artwork. Ah, I miss you:)

Unknown said...

The paintings look fantastic. Great job!

I want a bracelet/watch! How fun!

Alison said...

Those paintings are fabulous. i am really impressed and jealous. we all know what happens when I paint. So I just don't do it anymore. Aviation Day proved that true. We miss you. I will be home in early October and want to see you and the kids. We will have a play date.

Sally Wood said...

I love the paintings, and the watch bands! About the paintings, squares are not supposed to be painted perfectly. That is why it is art, and not photo! I love the paintings, they are quite good, actually!

Vickie said...

The paintings are fabulous. Who would know you don't paint all the time. You should do more :)