Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Did pioneer babies sleep?


We just got home from a fun-filled weekend at the Wade's in Star Valley, WY. We saw cute Madison in her play, Grease, and had some good visits with the in-laws. The four of us shared a room (Jack slept in the closet Harry Potter style) and both Charlie and Jack were up multiple times all three nights that we were there. It was exhausting... On Tuesday morning, Grandma Julie said, "Well, at least they'll probably sleep all the way home and you can get some rest before going into work tomorrow." We hit the road and long story short, Charlie cried for three hours. For the first two hours, we stopped every mile or so and tried to figure out what was wrong with him; we changed his diaper, fed him, changed his clothes, gave him some Tylenol- nothing helped. The only one spared the raw nerves was Jack who was watching Monsters Inc with noise-cancelling headphones. Maybe we should have packed a few pairs. We drove home through Logan (the long way) because we had planned on a special lunch at the Bluebird, so our three hour drive ended up taking seven... needless to say, I was late to work.

Whenever my life is hard I like to think back to the pioneers (or sometimes random villagers in Africa- the ones I saw in a sociology class who birthed babies in the field, slung them on their backs and finished their days work). Sometimes I think about my ancestor pioneers who birthed children on the plains. How did pioneer mommys keep their children happy and quiet for all of those miles. I can't even keep mine quiet for three hours. And when they got hungry, how that must have broke their hearts. When Charlie is hungry he goes from happy to screaming in seconds and I do whatever I can (even pulling over on the side of the highway) to feed him and quiet him again. I used to hear stories about pioneer women giving their own food rations to their children and I always thought that was kind of dumb because if they died, who would care for their children, but now that I've been a Mom for a few years, I understand. I would do whatever I could to feed my children and make them happy- and not just out of the selfless goodness of my heart. If Charlie were hungry his screaming would be unbearable, if Jack were hungry, his whining would be unbearable.

How did those pioneers do it? Were pioneer babies just better behaved? Did they get used to being hungry? Did those three year-olds understand that when Mommy says there's no milk, that means there's no milk? How did the kids sleep or take naps in a wagon or handcart? Are my kids just spoiled? Does anyone have any good ways to make a four-month old nap when he is too tired to fall asleep? My new library book is Ferber's Solve your child's sleep problems. I know my Mom is chuckling thinking I'm finally receiving my due. I've grown up hearing stories about how my parents had to drive me around the neighborhood at all hours of the night to get me to go to sleep. By the way, thanks for doing that Mom and Dad.

5 comments:

Sally Wood said...

That really puts things in perspective. Thanks for sharing. I remember those horrible moments when my kids were screaming that felt like hours, no-days, with no end in sight! I have always said, and I swear by this, that when our kids cry, it takes away years of our lives! Especially that inconsolable scream that wrenches at your heart and hurts your head.

Charlotte said...

Hee! I have often wondered the same thing myself. Just the other night, jase and I were wondering how pioneer parents ever got "alone time" *wink*. I mean, seriously.

Juliann said...

Love this, Becky. I was wondering if you guys were out of town...!

Yes! I totally want to come on Saturday. What time are your swimming??

christa said...

I've so been there too!! Have you tried setting him in a seat on top of the washer or dryer while it's running? Or running the vacuum cleaner? My oldest boy had to have some white noise to sleep to...someone gave us a little nature sounds thing that just played crickets and ouside noise stuff all night! Good luck whatever you do!! Sounds like a fun one.
And speaking of having it be hard to find "alone time" as a pioneer but-- WHERE???? LOL How funny- we're SO LUCKY to be when we are!!!

Amanda said...

Hey Beck! I miss you SO much! I always want to call you at like 10 at night, but that's midnight your time!

So anyway, the girls and I have been reading the Little House on the Prairie series and I too have been struck with "How did those pioneer ladies do it?" I particularly noticed that Ma never had problems with Baby Carrie, and she always put her to sleep in a room full of people with Pa playing his fiddle, or with ease for weeks on end in a wagon. I've decided it must be something about that routine of real life, you know, where everything was ruled by the sun, the weather, and survival. I think the babies must've sensed that if they cried, the wolves would eat them! I don't know! Maybe if we just invested in a good wolf pack! I'm so kidding!