I am blessed to live in a world of extremes. At work I provide therapy to the very old. The other day I worked with the oldest person in Utah who is 108 years old and wanted to have some therapy to get stronger. At home I am attempting to teach my three- year old the ins and outs of appropriate behavior and taking care of my bouncing baby boy. To be very clear, I love both my extremes and I am learning from both of them. I would like to share some of the similarities I’ve found. (For these purposes, I will generalize a lot of my patients experiences although I do recognize that they are all individuals)
They are both closer to heaven than I am. One has just come from there and the others are knocking at it’s door
They both require frequent touch and reassurance that I love them for who they are and not what they can do.
They both have difficulty sitting up but love the feeling of accomplishment when they do.
Sometimes they can’t communicate clearly and rely on my intuition to provide them what they need.
Sometimes they both call me Mom.
Although one is smooth and one is wrinkled, they are both real and don’t attempt to hide behind makeup or hairstyles.
They both get frustrated by the things they can not do.
Neither can see extremely well and need objects placed directly in their view. Correction: although their eyesight
may be poor, I think they can both see better than I can.
Sometimes they get angry and can’t express it in any way other than punching or kicking and require redirection of negative behaviors.
They love being read to and talked to.
Because they both need help dressing and changing their diapers, I get to know them on an intimate level. When a person needs that much help, a level of trust develops between that person and their caregiver.
I am grateful for my opportunities to serve and learn from the people in my life.
6 comments:
I love this post! There is so much to learn from the people around us!
What a wonderful post! I love it.
I also love that picture of the lady at the bottom.
I can't believe she's 108. That in itself is amazing.
This is Melissa Nakaya not my SIL Brooke.
sorry.
What a beautiful post! I love that you took the time to think about this and write it down:) My fave line was, "They both require frequent touch and reassurance that I love them for who they are and not what they can do." Awww... me too! And I'm neither old nor young!!
Wow - totally makes you think, about both ends of this life. Wow. Loved this.
I really enjoyed this post. I feel like 30 years old is old, but I have so much to learn. Like you said, I learn so much from Roslyn who is only 2! What a great list! Thank you.
Post a Comment