Saturday, March 6, 2010

Goals for a healthier ME!



So Virginia is a southern state. I guess I always thought of it as the midle state seeing as how Washington DC was supposed to be the middle and all that. But we are in southern virginia just a few miles from the border and down here they definately consider themselves Southern which means we enjoy all the joys and calories of home fried southern goodness. Creamed corn pudding, biscuits and gravy, fried chicken, fried fish, hush puppies- fried corn bread, butter buiscuits, etc. Yesterday a girl told me that everything she cooks uses butter and salt. They fry eggs in butter. I grew up on margarine and pam. (Now we know that margarine is actually worse than butter but that's a story for another time) All this available rich food combined with busy schedule and being on the road alot has translated into a 30 pound weight gain in just 5 months. I've decided I need a change.

I've never been able to diet really because I could never tell any differences in my weight or my energy level no matter what types or w=how much food I ate. I was an athlete (swimmer/runner) and worked out for 2-4 hours a day everyday so, like Michael Phelps I could eat whatever I wanted and developed a pretty big appetite. Unlike Michael Phelps, life caught up to me and babies and I have had a really hard time making myself exercise lately because I feel like I need to spend every spare minute with my boys. I tried doing P90X for a week or so and I liked it but exercise videos in your living room are a little boring and anti-social. Jack liked doing it with me sometimes but his idea of helping was laying on the ground so I had to jump over him or climbing on my back while I tried to do a chatarunga. Because telling people about your goals helps you to keep them I've set two new goals for myself.

1. I'm going to finish a 30-day cleanse with Isagenix I've already started and am feeling more energized. I got home from work yesterday and instead of crashing on the couch like usual, I cleaned my car and then cleaned the whole house!! Definately unusual for me lately. Some people from my church have done the program and lost a pound a day and kept it off, so I'm going to give it a try. I am usually a skeptic of these types of things but this one seems to have scientific research backing it up... We'll see how it goes and maybe I'll do a followup post at the end of the month. The best part is that Adam is going to do it with me :)

2. My second goal is to start training for anotrher triathlon. There's one in the area May 1 and Laura and a few church people are interested in joining me. I like triathlons because they give you a deadline. You must get to a certain fitness level by this date or you pass out on the course... :)

There you have it- I wrote my goals down in stone or cyberspace but I have heard that once something's on the internet- it's always somewhere... Wish me luck... Here's to a new healthier body!

4 comments:

JacksGram said...

Ok! I'm interested! I'll join you and Lizzy, I'll either find a tri here or maybe come and join you guys there! I've gained about 15 lbs too and it needs to stop! Tell me about the cleanse you are using. I bought one to try once, but haven't used it yet. Lets do this!

cari said...

Good Luck!!! I tried P90X and almost gave myself a hurniea. I've been doing Turbo Jam and I really like it! For one thing that annoying guy isn't in it. The music is really pumped up too. My boys try to do it with me. It's funny to watch! Good Luck!!!!

Carrie said...

Good luck!!! You'll do great.

Chelsea said...

Good luck that is exciting! You should take pictures in the same clothes every week... it's amazing how much you don't notice you are losing until you start comparing the pictures :)