I needed one of these new shopping carts that have t.v.s in themAfter an exciting morning of peeing on the carpet and locking himself in the car, Jack got a quarter for using the potty (hey now, don't judge, I'm getting frustrated and money motivates him, well, gumball machines motivate him). We were heading to the gumball store when Jack pooped his pants. The store had no changing table and no wipes but we did our best... gross. Since Charlie was in the front of the cart, I put Jack in the main cart but couldn't see him very well because of charlie. Here's what the poor grocery people had to deal with and what it must have sounded like to Jack.
Jack: Mommers (his name for when he likes me, as opposed to Mom when he doesn't) I wanna eat a cucumber.
Becky: No, I'm not in the mood for cucumbers, lets get celery instead.
J: but Why??
B: because they're yummy for our tummy.
B: Don't bite the apples. Hey you bit every one... now they're no good. No one wants to eat your germs.
J: what's a germ?
B: a bug
J: No one wants my bugs because I'm sick, I need medicine....bla bla blaa...
a little while later-
B: Jack are you eating the onions? Where's the rest of it?....(points to mouth).. gross, take it out, no don't put it back in the bag, just set it in the cart.
B: Don't step on the celery!
J; I want eggs Mommy! I wanna hold em.
B: O.k. but you have to be very careful and not open them.
(After a second he took some eggs out and began caressing them.)
B: Hey now, put it back, close up the box, you need to be very careful with eggs..... are you being careful? Close the lids...
(internal dialogue: Now why do they say something has Acai berries if it doesn't, it only has black currant berries... that's weird and misleading... which beans do I need to make green bean casserole.. of course the most expensive... go figure.)
Charlie: Waaaaaaa, waaaaaaa, waaaaaaaa
B: Good thing I packed a bottle... Here you hold it, you're 4 months now, step it up....
B: Jack what have you done? Is that egg on your hands? And running down the cart? And all the way down the aisle? You are in big trouble mister. I told you not to touch the eggs. Sit down! I don't care if it's sticky. You've been throwing eggs out of the cart, and light bulbs! You broke them!
J: You-- I'm mad at you! Grrr! You dumb dumb.... you dum dum
B: Stop that- we don't say mean things like that. Be nice.
J: You dum dum
B: stop- that's it, you've lost your privileges, no more gumballs for you..
J: dum dum dum dum dum
B: Fine you're in time out- stand right there, don't move.
B: (to store clerk) I'm sorry, but you need a clean up on aisle 9- my son broke a whole carton of eggs, and there's still some leaking out of our cart.
B: Jack what's in your mouth?
B: (to store clerk) I guess I'll take this gum he opened.
Store clerk: Are you going to buy these broken eggs?
B: Yes, serves me right for bringing a three-year old shopping.
B: Jack where did you get that apple? Put it back on the clerks table- that's not ours. You have to ask for things and buy them before you eat them.
( I then turned back to deal with the WIC stuff that of course was the wrong brand or size and it wasn't even worth going back through the store to find the right (although unmarked) items.)
B: Jack!! I guess, we'll buy this apple to... I'm sorry...
Store clerk: Have a great day! Would you like help out with that?
B: Would I ever.
Later in the car, Jack says, "Mommers (the positive again) I sorry I loose privages and I sorry I break the eggs. can I get gumball now? and bones?"
I should have watched this first.
17 comments:
Becky this is an awesome and sad post.
I'm so sorry man. What a rough outting.
Man I'm waiting for Moscow to get those kids trolly's
That'll be the day aye.
Becky! It's Stefanie (Williams) - I found your blog and I love it!! I sat here and read all the way back to August (I think) and had to force myself away to get dinner and baths started...
If you ever get a down moment (not usually possible with kids) my blog is: stefaniepete.blogspot.com
Oh and I saw of picture of you with Mandy (McKenna) How is she? Does she have a blog? Do you know of any body else I might now with a blog? (Its my nap-time ritual. I am fortunate enough to have 2 hours to myself every weekday)
Have a great day!
Hey Beckadoo! I think this is why my mom started using two carts....one for the food, and one for the kids. Hang in there! I'll see you soon!!
Oh sad... Sounds like an eventful shopping trip. I think you need a break from the kids. How about you come get Sushi with us on December 3? We are planning a sushi outing, and Emma said she wants you to come.
Hilarious! Been there, done that! It does get easier though, I promise!
Hilarious! Been there, done that! It does get easier though, I promise!
I left a full cart of grocerys at the store once and carried out 3 screaming boys.
Ahhhhhhhh, Toddlers-gotta love them. How boring and calm our lives would be without them. Thinking back, those are the moments I love to write to the kids about in their letters. That way, when they are parents, they will know where their children got it. Just wait til he gets older, then he will help. These are the fun times, though.
I'm just seeing if this works! Boy, did that bring back memories! Leave the kids with me next time, you'll ALL enjoy it more.
Woops! That anonymous was really me, MOM.... I told you I didn't know how to do this!
Oh Becky! I just laughed and laughed. I'm sure you can laugh about it now, but I would have been in tears at the store, especially in my current state.
Hee! I love it! It's like you've seen me shopping with my kids;)
Too funny. I always shop at Smith's Market Place because they have the day care and Adessa loves playing with the other kids and coloring. Deep breaths save our lives don't they!
I know exactly how you felt that day! I've been through the same thing almost. Ethan stomped on the eggs in my version though!
I'm sorry, but I can hardly stop laughing!!!! I so feel for ya! I'm with Jen though, it does get better. good luck with your next grocery shopping trip- sounds like you might need it :) Thanks for sharing this story though- it will make my next one less stressful I think.
Becky, thanks for this post. I understand. I have an "energetic" child (people always say, "Wow, she has a lot of energy." I respond, "Yes, I know, she took all of mine!") who doesn't like to sit in a stroller or shopping cart and who loves to step on my vegetables! Arrrgggghhh. But what always amazes me is that the Lord watches over us so much and helps us have the patience to deal with it.
Kids sure know how to keep you on your toes!!! Cute stories!
Post a Comment