I've been touched by two special experiences this weekend. On Friday night, we went to our annual Forgotten Carols performance with Pumpkin and Jon. We try and go every year and Pumpkin and I have a random habit of telling each other special information- (like that I was pregnant last year- and three years before that) while we're waiting in the restroom line. What a difference a year makes. Who would have thought that this year we'd both have our wishes of healthy beautiful baby boys. I've been listening to Michael McLean's music for a long time. I remember being in the car with Robby and Laura belting out "Will He ever come?" and "Will He really answer me?" and wishing I was in 4-H so I could measure my life by the song "If only you beleive in yourself" and "Which part is mine?" I have to watch Rigoletto whenever I go to the Cabin and the song "Hold On" inspired me to keep trying to learn Spanish in Chile. I've seen and listened to Forgotten Carols so many times that I could recite the entire thing word for word (even thought they did make some changes 2 years ago) I understand the cheese factor and I don't agree with the shameless DVD plugging that goes on after his show, BUT he has some great songs that touch my soul. Music affects me in ways that no speech or sermon can. When I sing along, I testify and the Holy Ghost bears testimony of the truths that I sing. When i link up with Adam and think about our children I KNOW that "We will be together forever someday."Each year something different touches me. Last year Pumpkin and I bawled when we heard Sara singing about being a Mother even though she couldn't have children of her own. This year I still teared up but out of joy for my friend. Lately I've become an expert at lip reading. So many of my patients have tracheotomies and can only mouth words. There was a part at the end of The Carols where Uncle Jon was sitting with Connie Lou while the wise man is singing, " I cannot find my way." He explained to her (as I lip read- I was expecting to see him saying watermelon watermelon because that's what they do in community theatre;) but he explained about the star ornament that it had 4 points leading towards Christ in the middle. One for each of the three wise men and one for her. For the first time i saw that song as a kind of conversion song where Connie Lou was not only brought to love Christmas but converted to Christ. "There are so many voices, so many different choices, we need to find our way back home." This year more than others I feel like there are so many choices and things fighting for my attention- I want to keep my focus on what's really important.
Saturday night I performed in a Latin American choir for La Presentacion Navidenia: Recibid al Rey. I haven't been the most dedicated person to this choir, but I am so glad I participated. We sang in the tabernacle and sang with children's choirs, musicians and dancers to put on quite the celebration. The whole place was packed and they recorded it for future broadcasts and I imagined all those Latinos, like my friends in Chile, who will think it is so neat that there are so many strong LDS people here. I thought it was neat how none of the children had Spanish accents, but they sing and dance and remember their heritage. What a legacy those families are establishing. When it was all over, after everyone had started to leave, Elder Scott (who incidentally still speaks perfect Spanish and is South America's favorite apostle) came up and spoke to the choir. We sang, "We thank thee Oh God for a prophet" and the spirit was strong. He left an apostolic blessing over all the participants and instantly a feeling came over us that this was important and very special. He blessed us and our families and encouraged us to remain faithful, strong, and to always pay tithing. Afterwards he stuck around to shake hands and take pictures with people and I even saw many of the women kissing him on the cheek- what a very patient and loving man.
I am so grateful for music in my life and the joy and experiences it brings me.
"All I ever wanted, all I ever dreamed of, everything I 'd hoped and all the things I'd prayed for couldn't hold a candle to what I've been given, I've been given what I need."
8 comments:
Have I told you lately how proud I am of you and your sweet beautiful family?! Wish we could have been there last night to hear you sing.
p.S. What does 4-H have to do with "which part is Mine?"
This is great man. I'm glad you got to perform in the choir.
Great post of lovely music and how it inspires you.
Wonderful journal entry.
Wow, what a great experience and thank you for sharing it. I really wish I could sing. I try to sing in the confines of my own home where only Roslyn and Heston can hear me, but I love music!
Becky, your blog is so dang cute, I havent had much time latley to catch up with anyone's blog so I finally did today.
Your family is so cute I am glad to heat Jack is feeling better
I totally echo everything you said! It really has been such a honor to be part of the group I'm in. Music touches me in such profound ways, too. Love the quote at the end, by the way. Who said it?
The last quote is from a Michael McClean song. I think it's called "All I ever wanted." ConnieLou sings it at the end of Forgotten Carols.
Oh good ol forgotten carols. I think I ruined forgotten carols for Kate because I listened to it every night to fall asleep for about a year.
Post a Comment