Friday, February 5, 2010

Little Sister



Having a sister is like having a best friend you can't get rid of. You know whatever you do, they'll still be there. ~Amy Li

I am so excited that my little sister Laura is coming to live and work with me. She is going to be our new Social Worker and everyone is so excited for her to get here. Every day at least 4 peopel ask me, "When is your sister coming?" We've got her a new room with new furniture and the picture above is a Welcome Wagon that i left on her dresser to surprise her when she gets here. (unless I guess if she reads this...) Surprise! :)

A sister is a little bit of childhood that can never be lost. ~Marion C. Garretty
Laura is 4 years younger than me. We grew up together and I remember we had an occassional tiff or wrestling match. I was closer in age to Robby and I remember we would both try and get Laura on our side because with three kids, anyone plus Laura made a majority. I like to think I won her to my side most of the time. We swam a lot. I started when I was 8 or 9 and Laura started about the same time which means she would have been like 5. We spent lots of hours in the pool. When she was 15, I snuck her onto my relay team and then when she was in High School I got to be her coach for a year.
*Laura is a great swimmer. She has endurance like noone I know! Her arms just keep going and going... even if she hasn't swam for a while, she can still do 500 yards in just a few minutes. We both were lifeguards for years and spent alot of time working for the JCC. Last year she did a triathlon and trained so hard. She did great and she never gave up even when her life got complicated.

* Laura is smart- She learned to read when she was 2! Definately gifted and talented. She won lots of awards for poetry in Elementary school. I will never forget "The gutter hole." While she is out here, she's going to work on her Masters degree. Then all 3 of us siblings will be Masters- as Robby says.

*She is a great aunt. The boys both love her and I feel like she helped raise Jack while I was in Utah on assignment and she tended him and took him to her preschool. She slept in our guest room when she helped us move here. Yes she offered to drive 3000 miles mostly on her own to help us move. Jack still calls the spare room Laura's room and soon it will be again!

** Laura is kind. She is a great friend and would do anything for anybody. She is fun and a great listener. She always makes me laugh and is always up for a fun adventure.

There is no better friend than a sister. And there is no better sister than you.
I Love you and I'm counting the days until you get here... 8 I think...

7 comments:

Melissa said...

Exciting news.

coriconnors said...

YAY that you get the amazing, talented, brilliant, delightful Laura...and BOO that you are BOTH going to be so far away from us!

Micaela L. Hess said...

What a nice post about Laura. I'm jealous that you have a sister so close to you and that you get to have her live with.

Chelsea said...

Wow! That's fun she is moving out there! How long will she be living with you?

Becky said...

She;ll be here for a few months and then move down south to be closer to the singles ward and grad school...

JacksGram said...

WoW! Nice synopsis of Laura! I'm very proud of both of you and you and she can be close to each other....I'll miss you both but I'm glad you will be together.

Unknown said...

Oh you made me cry! Real tears! I'm going to miss her so much!! I was always jealous of you two as kids cause you were my only cousins who had sisters. I'm still jealous of you cause now you get Liz all the time. Not fair! Take good care of her!