Saturday, October 11, 2008

Confessions of a sugarholic- a failed experiment

My name is Becky, and I'm a sugar-holic. I just love the sticky stuff. When I was younger, it was tough to find a dealer (my parents gave us non-sugared cereals and treats were just for special occasions). Since I became legal and started buying my own cereal, I exhilarated in the freedom to purchase the frosted sugar coated confections. Now I have settled for just buying "lightly sweetened" multi-grain cheerios (but occasionally the marshmallow matees do sneak into my cart). For my birthday this year, the only thing I asked for was a HUGE bucket of jellybellies from Costco ( I claimed I would use some for toilet training treats which I did... "good job using the potty, one for you and a few for me since I helped.." I have noticed, that I am especially susceptible to sugar cravings in the mid-afternoon. It's as if my body cannot rest until it gets a fix. (This all started, as near as I can tell, on my mission when we would always stop and buy a 25 cent ice cream after our huge almuerzo around 4:00. I claimed it was to cool us off, but since then ice cream has become my sixth food group.

It is because of this need for sugar, that I decided to challenge myself and see if I could go a month without sugar. It wasn't really for weight loss, it was mostly to challenge myself and see if it were possible. I have friends who are very strong and have gone off all sugar including carbs and fruit, but I knew I couldn't do that, so I just decided to go off processed sugar and sweets. My friends told me that the first few weeks were hard as they de-toxed, but then their body adjusted and they didn't crave it or even like it anymore. I thought that might be nice, and I even talked my sister Laura into doing it with me. We wrote ourselves 2 cheat days: the 14th which is her birthday and Halloween, but I figured that this would keep me from snacking on Halloween candy all month (Sept 30 I hid all our candy and sweets that we had in the house which is not all that effective because you can't hide something from yourself). The first 2 days were very hard, but then my mom gave me "no sugar added" ice cream which is not the same as no sugar at all, so I felt a little guilty. I survived a few afternoon cravings forcing myself to eat some fruit or string cheese instead. But, on the 9th, I had to make some Halloween cupcakes for our neighbors, and sure enough, before I knew it, I had licked the spoon. I fell off the wagon, and since I was off, I didn't see harm in tasting the finished product and then I had to give jack a bathroom, treat... one for you, one for me...
There are several things I've learned from this experiment:
1. It's a good thing I'm not tempted to fudge on commandments, because once I fell off the wagon (after a lousy 9 days!) I figured I might as well enjoy my guilty pleasures.
2. I did notice that I've had increased headaches with sugar
3. the worst cravings come when I'm stressed out and need something fast, and
4. I have amazing friends Charlotte, Alison, Stacey who have much more will -power than I have and my respect for them has increased dramatically.

Laura says I should re-commit and try again, but I'm not sure. Maybe the idea that sweets are off-limits makes me think about them more.

8 comments:

Sally Wood said...

I am impressed that you made it that long! I am also a confessed sugarholic. I am not sure I could do that, but it is a goal to try sometime. Around the holidays is not a good time for me. It also makes it hard because there is sugar at work every week! (birthdays, going away parties, customer service appreciation days, etc). I would love to try this out with you at the end of the holidays, maybe January?

Becky said...

Thanks Sally, I think this goal would be more achievable for me in a less stressful/ less holiday time as well. Maybe we could make it a new year resolution

Amanda said...

Whew! Way to go! 9 days is rough.

Charlotte said...

Aw Beck! You forget that I have never been able to MAINTAIN the no-sugar thing. Yes, I've been able to stay away from white satan for a certain period of time (90 days was my max) but I always go back to my favorite addiction:) And I have to say that, for me at least, the cravings NEVER go away. Sugar never does lose it's allure, no matter how long I leave it alone.

Honestly, I chalk it up to coming from a long line of alcoholics (which is just sugar, after all). There is a lot of research backing up the sugar/alcohol -ic connection.

Besides, you are doing fantastic with your health!!! I just don't know that it is realistic to live without sugar forever...

Charlotte said...

PS> I DO feel better when I don't eat it. Sigh:)

Unknown said...

Seriously? No sugar? Are you CRAZY? You see, you'll get no support from me about this. I think you are nuts! Life is too stressful and hard to go without sugar. Now, I don't recommend eating pounds of it a day. Eat Sparingly. But, no sugar? No way!

I love you though. But, sheesh girl...eat a Jelly Bean or ten and don't feel guilty about it.

Becky said...

come on Becky, try again. Only 15 days left in October! We can do it!

Laura said...

So the above posting was from me, not you. I hope that you and your friends don't get confused and think that you were writing inspirational notes to yourself.