Thursday, October 23, 2008

I Voted today! Yea for me! You should too!



I had to vote today as I have been trying to get registered for 2 months now but since I missed the deadline, I had to pre-vote in order to change my address. The other cool thing about voting early is that you can vote anywhere! This is definitely a historical election and one we will all remember for a long time. There is also so much junk out there and mud-slinging it seems so hard to know what is truth. I tried to find out what I could and I carried my large voter information packet with me to the polls. While I scrutinized over my packet, Jack went around the room asking all the court-house employees, What your name is?" Finally, we each walked out wearing our stickers and feeling very patriotic.
Here are some cool sites with interesting info- (thanks John)
Politifact. A site that rates the truthfulness of the claims made by major players in the presidential campaigns and their ads. http://www.politifact.com/
Factcheck. Same idea, with a less exciting interface, but they have an interesting weekly "vidcast," video to summarize the week in politics. http://www.factcheck.org/
VA Joe Candidate Calculator. You answer 22 questions concerning your stance on key political issues, they tell you who you align with. If you don't know where you stand on the issue, click on the question, they will give a very brief summary of it. http://www.vajoe.com/candidate_calculator.html
"We believe that governments were instituted of God for the benefit of man; and that he holds men accountable for their acts in relation to them, both in making laws and administering them, for the good and safety of society. … such as will administer the law in equity and justice should be sought for and upheld by the voice of the people. …” (D&C 134:1, 3.)

D. James Cannon wrote, "There are three reasons why you should vote now and every time: (1) Every vote counts. (2) Every election is important. (3) The Lord has reminded you of your responsibility for “the good and safety of society.”

Know the issues. Discover what is being discussed. See if there are other issues that ought to be included. Don’t consider just one point of view. Learn, consider, pray for guidance. Casting a vote is far more serious than many people realize. Know the candidates. Equally important, know the people around the candidates. Encourage good men and women to enter politics and work to help them. Organize political discussion groups. Help destroy the myth that “politics are dirty.” The fact is: politics are essential. The Lord has stressed that we ought to be concerned and involved in promoting good government. Remember you’ve got to do more than talk about politics. You’ve got to vote and act intelligently."




1 comment:

shari said...

Hey Becky way to vote!!!
Your blog is darling and when did you cut your hair off???
It looks darling.