Monday, October 20, 2008

Charlie's a Rock Baby

Before I had a baby, I imagined that it would be so lovely to sit in the rocking chair and gently rock my baby to sleep with crooning lullabies playing in the background. I bought a few Cd's of lullabies but they just did not work. For those who don't know we have somewhat "intense" babies who are never content just to lay on the floor and suck on their toes. (Hard to imagine considering he has such layed back parents :)) We burnt through countless D-sized batteries so that Jack could swing for hours and hours and all through the night for weeks on end. Our saving grace was a DVD Happiest Baby on the Block which taught us how to swaddle our baby and shoosh loudly. It also recommended listening to static or a vacuum to simulate "womb sounds." When we were tired of shooshing, Jack listened to Cori Connors and Norah Jones. They both have uber lovely voices and music that is soothing and relaxing.

Charlie on the other hand is not calmed at all by soft music, but we have this rather rambunctious DVD of a Dave Mathews concert in 7.1 surround. He loves it! He will be screaming and throwing a fit (gasp.. yes our little angel can throw fits) but when we turn on Dave, he quiets right down. He also will calm to Usher, and most everything on 97.5 as long as it's loud. He does not get this from me!! I hate loud rock music that sounds like screaming but Charlie loves it-especially the clapping. Most recently he has calmed to blaring Handles Messiah (in 5.1 surround) so maybe there is hope that Charlie won't die his hair pink, pearce ridiculous parts of his body and turn punk-rocker on me.


8 comments:

Carrie said...

I think that's funny that he totally calms down to the LOUD RAMBUNCTIOUS music. I'll keep my fingers crossed that he continues to like the Handle's Messiah. It'll be perfect come Christmas time.

Melissa said...

Wow who'd think it aye?
That's crazy!
Well at least you'll know what helps calm him down right?

Laura said...

Too funny... i am glad you have figured that out. I am still at a loss with Milli.

Maricela said...

This is funny Becky! Heston's mom bought Roslyn the baby einstein videos for Christmas and guess what she likes to watch? Lord of the Rings - she loves "froto".

Maricela said...

This is funny Becky! Heston's mom bought Roslyn the baby einstein videos for Christmas and guess what she likes to watch? Lord of the Rings - she loves "froto".

Maricela said...

This is funny Becky! Heston's mom bought Roslyn the baby einstein videos for Christmas and guess what she likes to watch? Lord of the Rings - she loves "froto".

Maricela said...

I have no idea why my comment posted 3 times, but I hope you got it, ok? :)

By the way, Roslyn is going to day care at Kinder Care in NSL. And, thanks for the invitation to the Choir - you don't remember that I cannot sing. I only sing in the shower and nowadays it's the ABCs and I am a child of God.

coriconnors said...

Number one- I'm honored to have put Jack to sleep once or twice. I do that in performances, too ;)
Number two- Hey, I noticed Maricela's comments and thought, "Heston...how many Heston's are there?" And then I saw her blog picture and lo and behold it is OUR Heston. He's our's because he was our home teacher with his Dad, Seldon, who is still our home teacher. So if you see him say HEY!
AND, btw, you Evans'/Bradburys are very much a part of our crazy clan!