Friday, October 24, 2008

Onions, Oats, and Baby Powder

So you would think I would have learned my lesson from the blue paint disaster; that when Jack is quiet- it means trouble. I was downstairs with Charlie when jack woke up and I sent him up to use the potty (and he actually went which is rare). I heard him making noise in the bathroom, he called down that he had gone pee pee on the potty and then I heard him playing in his room. When I came up to check on him, this is what I found:

He had dumped almost an entire container of baby powder all over his legs, his floor, his toys, and his blankets. I just looked at him and asked, "Jack, what in the world made you think that it would be o.k. to make this big a mess?"

He responded with the truthfulness only a three-year old can, "I was making footprints."

These footprints lead from Charlie's changing table into Jack's room. But at least now his room smells baby powder fresh.

Today, Adam and I were in another room working on projects and when we came into the kitchen we found this mess. Jack had opened the food storage and taken the top half of the oats container and put it in the dried onions and the top half of the dried onions and put it on the oats and spilled the other half on the floor and mixed them all together!
(Yes I know that 3 halves is impossible in this context, but this kid can do amazing/impossible things in 5 minutes or less!)
So, does anyone have any ideas of what I can do with onion flavored oats???
I love my Jack, he keeps me on my toes. I love his innocent reasoning behind why he does the things he does. I love how he says, "I sorry I do dat Mommy- I not do dat again." I'm grateful for the things he teaches me. If my life were a beach and all it had were perfectly round particles of sand, with no pebbles to skip or pieces of sticky kelp, sea shells or those sand crabs that leave pock marks scurrying about, it would be pretty boring. Thank heavens I have 3 someones to stir up the sand and bring life to my beach. I'm grateful that Jack is "making footprints" on my life and I pray that I can have a positive impact on those around me and someday look back on where I've been and see my mark, my footprints.

7 comments:

Melissa said...

I laughed out loud at your question about what to do with onion flavoured oats.
Who knows man who knows.
I have plenty of these moments. You sound like you handle them better than me.

Laura said...

I would have been SO mad! More with the paint issue than this... but still. Cute crazy little kid! GOtta love 'em that's for sure. I love the foot print answer.

Onions and oat? How about breakfast for Jack in the morning? Then maybe he won't do it again!!! ahhaaha... now that would be funny!

Vickie said...

Hey Becky,
You found my blog. Thanks for your comment. Your blog is so cute. I love your family photo. Jack is an energetic boy, and so cute. I didn't know you were so into swimming and water polo. My Niece plays water polo for Cypress High. It's fun to find neighbors who blog.
Vickie

christa said...

I think I have a meatloaf recipe that uses oats and onions- I'll have to see if I can find it :) Very cute though- I love your positive outlook on things- thanks!

Unknown said...

Hilarious! I just love it when you post these little "Jack Events" It reminds me so much of my boys at that age.

If you can't use the oats for meatloaf, here's my suggestion. Add some glitter to the mix and put 1/2 cup into baggies and save them for Christmas. You can give them out to neighbor kids to use as Magic Reindeer Dust. They sprinkle it on the grass and the reindeer see the sparkles and come to eat it. Someone gave my kids some a year or two ago and they loved it. Ours wasn't onion flavored, but I'm sure Santa's reindeer love onions. ;)

Maricela said...

Jack has gotten so big. I like the first picture, he has a huge smile on his face and it seems like he is thinking, "What mom? I didn't do anything wrong." Totally innocent.

Talbot Family said...

I am with you, I can't leave her alone for 5 minutes without her doing a fancy art project which happens to be on the wall. The funny thing is they know better, but just can't help being a little bit naughty. Too funny.